[Freeciv-Dev] Re: a civserver patch testing framework (was: [RFC][Patch]

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: a civserver patch testing framework (was: [RFC][Patch] Inline)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:03:21 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> I've thought out how to implement this in a Makefile
> and wrote an auxiliary utility, but not the Makefile itself.
>
> It would be used from a web interface; its purpose would be
> to allow different versions to be run on civserver.freeciv.org.

This is all good, but I would also like better support for testing in
freeciv proper. Autogames are brilliant, if you know how to set them up.
But they don't test client<->server interaction, or the clients at all,
where I suspect the development version still has a lot of bugs.

In the sound patch I added support for "make check" on the sound stuff.
Raimar removed this. I would like to see something like this added to
freeciv eventually (put in a directory of its own, like "tests/"), which
in addition to running some tests on basic functions (with different
ruleset options selected), runs a few autogames with different options
set, then finally loads a savegame produced by this autogame.

It would also be good to set up a "bug-find farm" with autogames that use
random server variables and ruleset options (within sane limits). Lots of
bugs can be uncovered that way. For instance, it took just a quick
autogame with tech_cost_style=1 to see that this had become broken (I have
already posted a patch that fixes this).

Finally it would be really nice to have an "AI" client that can join
autogames, even if it does nothing other than sitting there with two
cities run by cma, since this allows us to test network interaction very
quickly. Don't anyone already have code for this?

Yours,
Per

"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men,
for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of
us all." -- John Maynard Keynes