[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] Inline

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] Inline
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:29:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 05:57:37AM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> > This is ok.
> >

> Nothing to do with testing the releases. So far in your experience with Gcc
> 3.03, have you found it more stable/faster/smaller executables?

I don't know. I installed it because the gcj of the old 2.96 gcc didn't work.

> Same goes for 2.4.18 kernel. In particular, I want to know if you've
> had any bad VM problems.

You wanted to know it: the scrolling in the vesa framebuffer is
slower. bttv is faster. Everything else is like it should be.

> > > You used that? You didn't mention this before.
> >
> > I experimented with it. It showed a small increase.
> >

> Annoying. I was hoping using options other than -02 -inline -NDEBUG would show
> noticeable increase in performance.
>
> Any joy out of funroll-all-loops,-ffast-math ?

It should be easy to test these with this automated tester.

> > with

> > > I was requesting those numbers.
> >
> > I do use you my computer today ;) Such usage _does_ (it shouldn't but
> > it does) change the user time. This is also a reason why a nightly
> > testing would be nice.
> >

> OK. Whenever it is doable.
>
> > > It seems -03 is a fairly bad optimisation.
> >
> > There is just nothing more to squeeze.
> >
> > > Jason ran some tests on the stock freeciv, and he seemed to get large
> > increases in performance just by using NDEBUG. Jason, some comments on your
> > previous tests please?
> > >
> > > With your patch and NDEBUG the speed increase is minor. Why?
> >
> > Note that I disabled CHECK_MAP_POS in all tests. NDEBUG will also
> > disable CHECK_MAP_POS and so lead to an performance increase.
> >

> If I remeber correctly, Jason and you agreed CHECK_MAP_POS would eventually
> go.
> Is that blessed day dawning ?

For developing (autogames) I would recomment to disable it. For the
release I would leave it in since it doesn't harm interactive
performance.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python 2.0 beta 1 is now available [...]. There is a long list of new