[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Connection dialog version 13

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Connection dialog version 13
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:02:17 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> Here is the next version of the game starting patch.

Here are some brief comments on it.

First, I like this functionality a lot, and I think the patch is starting
to look really nice.

But, I don't like the new small dialogs that pop up. I'd much rather have
it integrated into the good old "Connect to Freeciv Server" connection
dialog as a new, default tabs. Less clutter, less dialogs that way.

Furthermore, I still don't like the new buttons that only appear sometimes
(ie when you start the game using conndlg) to the right of the message
window. I would much rather have those options in the menues. If you must
put them there, then make it consistent and put them there always. Users
are going to wonder why it is there sometimes and sometimes not.

As to the patch, there are a number of styles issues there. I won't
comment on those in detail, but you should try to fix those.

+/*************************************************************************
+ Exit without killing the server
+*************************************************************************/
+void quit_client_only()
+{
+  server_pid=-1;
+  exit(0);

exit(EXIT_SUCCESS)

+static void join_game_callback(GtkWidget *w, gpointer data)
+{
+  if (w)

if (w != NULL)

+    if (server_pid==waitpid(server_pid,NULL,WNOHANG)) {

Spaces after commands, here and many other places.

+static void start_server(char **argv, int loading_game)
+{
+  if (pipe(stdin_pipe) || pipe(stdout_pipe) || pipe(stderr_pipe)) {
+    freelog(LOG_FATAL,_("Cannot create pipe"));
+    exit(1);

exit(EXIT_FAILURE);

+    _exit(1);

What is _exit?

+    /*Wait for responce from the server*/

"Response". Also many other places, even variable names.

Yours,
Per