Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] [patch rfd] loading rulesets

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch rfd] loading rulesets
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:25:43 +0100 (MET)

This patch is for getting access to ruleset info during pre-game, as
discussed earlier in this thread.

It moves the loading of rulesets from start of game to before pre-game, ie
to server initialization. I also removed the entirely unnecessary
"feature" that allowed you to mix ruleset files from different modpacks in
the same game. Now you just feed civserver with a modpack directory
through the "--config DIR" option, and you cannot use "set techs FILE"
anymore. Lastly, I killed data/classic/, since I really couldn't bother to
code around this ancient backwards compatibility hack.

This also has three side benefits:
 - rules out a class of possible inconsistencies stemming from mixing
incompatible ruleset files (they are incompatible more often than not)
 - ruleset errors are detected before you start the game, which means
before you invite all your friends into the game...
 - no more "set techs 3" server crashes

Also, it simplies the code a bit. Adds 69 lines and removes 809... :)

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli