[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-test

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-test
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:31:42 +0100

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:09:29AM -0500, Jason Short wrote:

> It's not just a question of "knowing", it's a bigger question of effort.
>   Applying each new patch to CVS is a pain...each time a new version
> comes along each tester must revert and re-apply the patch.

On civserver.freeciv.org we have a directory with patches and a Makefile
that gets a clean copy of the CVS tree, applies the patches and compiles.
We scan the resulting mail from cron for patch messages and fix a patch
when it breaks.

This can be generalized to work on any set of patches not in CVS.
Let me know if you want the Makefile as a starting point.

> It is also helpful to have one repository of a number of patches; that
> way all of them can be tested at once.  With ~10 patches available at
> any one time, that's a 10x increase in testing efficiency.  (Although it
> may take longer to track down problems if they do occur.)

Yes, that's what the Makefile does.  Tricky point: sometimes
patches must be applied in a specific order.

> As I've said before, this process would be substantially easier using a
> development branch of the "official" CVS repository.  If CVS allowed
> giving commit access to only a certain branch, this would be a
> no-brainer...but since it doesn't (AFAIK), this would probably mean
> maintainership of the branch would go out to a few trusted people, and
> we'd have the same bottleneck we do now.

Yes, so the new CVS repository is a better solution.  Merging in changes
from one repository to the other isn't any harder than merging from one
branch to the orhte as far as I can see.

--
Reinier