[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-test

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv-test
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:10:21 +0100

On 2002-01-29 10:29:21, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:11:59AM +0100, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> >
> > We (me and Per) now have something kind of working and I put something
> > here explaining the purpose of this little project:
> > http://freeciv-test.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Check it out...
> > And if you have a patch that
> > 1. works for you
> > 2. is aimed at freeciv cvs
> > 3. need more testing
> > consider joining our little party... :)
> >
> > Or if you just would like to help testing patches matching the
> > description above - then this is for you! :)
> >
> > Patches currently in freeciv-test cvs:
> > Sound (added today by Per so should be latest :)
> >  - including sound wav-files...
> > Connection dialog (conndlg8.patch)
>
> So this is for people who know
>  - how to do a CVS checkout
> and who doesn't know
>  - which patches fly around
>  - how to apply a patch
> ?
Or users who are simply lazy :)
Yes...
Prepackaged/compiled versions are not impossible in the future though...

> If it is so you may go through patches-submitted and apply all patches
> which do something the user may notice. Mhhhh the CMA isn't in
> patches-submitted.
>
> The problem I see and which only time will answer is how much work is
> required to have this tree updated and how much work are you willing
> to spend.

Exactly right...
And that's why we should keep the list of patches added short to begin
with... Until we have some kind of routine if that is possible...
Certainly someone, preferably the author, should be responsible for each
patch... You're certainly welcome to add CMA as far as I am concerned...

One question about cvs though...
We've been having some discussion about how to handle the problem of
keepone the combined version up to date with several patches and freeciv
cvs at the same time... Seems it's not quite trivial... :)
What I have been pondering is if it is possible to use the cvs merge
feature to handle this in any sort of nice way... If anyone knows that
would spare me some reading... :)
What I imagined was having one branch for each patch and one branch for
freeciv cvs and then merge them all into the main branch to get the
combined version... Is this possible? Would it be lots of trouble?
What would you actually get in the main branch? :)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)