[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CSS was: Re: auto settlers rework

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CSS was: Re: auto settlers rework
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:15:13 +0100

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:13:14PM +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:22:46AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:44:34PM -0500, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > >
> > > In such a system, the strategies and techniques would be developed by a
> > > large number of imaginative minds more concerned with the practical
> > > results of producing winning strategies. While the more rigorous ones
> > > could work at developing the framework to manage or efficiently exploit
> > > the various possibilities.
>
> Sounds really good :-)
>

> > Possible. My model is a bit different. Everything which can be
> > computed in a straighforward and deterministic way is computed. For
> > the rest (the SMA can for example not assess the value of a fortress)
> > the agent allows external requests with have to have artificial
> > benefits attached.
>
> I differ slightly here. This straightforward computing is hell cpu
> intensive. And the CMA is not deterministic. Just go and change the
> global rates forth and back and see how the city output differs.
> It can't be deterministic, because it only looks at a single city.
> It *should* look at the "whole game", but that is impossible.

Ack. But this would even more complex. I prefer to split it into
manageable chunks.

> If we had a structure somehow as Ross describes, so that I can ask
> the SMA "what would you do?" and then decide on myself (That means
> the script decides, not the agents), there would be more possibilities
> to integrate the SMA ai into the real world.

The current SMA has such a query mode. But this introduce other
problems because the part which asks the SMA also has to inform the
SMA what actions are planed for the other settlers.

> But I'll be patient, and I don't pretend to be able to contribute to
> this.
>
> > In my testing (cities produce only settlers and all settlers were put
> > under the SMA) the SMA performed quite good. And the integration of
> > the settler time should make it even better. We may should make a
> > comparison of an server-AI and the SMA which the constrains (cities
> > produce only settlers, all settlers were put under the auto-settler
> > and no enemy).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The Software is not designed or licensed for use in on-line control