[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Activeunits patch version 2

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Activeunits patch version 2
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:46:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:59:54PM -0500, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> > Here is the next patch for the activeunits dialog.  It adds a limited find
> > next capability (it is only reset by changing which unit you're looking
> > for) and a wake sentried button.  Various work remains, but this seems
> > ready to send out.
>
> Overall: it goes in the right direction. Keep going.
>
> Problems:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I. -I./.. -I./../include -I../../common
> -I../../intl -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -I/usr/X11R6/include  -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations -Werror  -g -O2 -Wall -c repodlgs.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> repodlgs.c:986: warning: no previous prototype for `unit_present'
> repodlgs.c:1004: warning: no previous prototype for
> `activeunits_find_next_callback'
> repodlgs.c:1071: warning: no previous prototype for
> `activeunits_change_prod_close_callback'
> repodlgs.c:1081: warning: no previous prototype for
> `activeunits_change_prod_close_button_callback'
> repodlgs.c:1089: warning: no previous prototype for
> `activeunits_change_prod_change_callback'
> repodlgs.c:1129: warning: no previous prototype for `unit_is_obsolete'
> make[3]: *** [repodlgs.o] Fehler 1

Hmm, I don't think it complained when I compiled it.  I'll fix it anyway.

>  - the second row of buttons look ugly. But I have also no better idea.
>  - the buttons in the second row doesn't have the same size -> again
>  ugly

Well, it looked better with only two buttons below -- the eye didn't
expect themto line up.  I'll see how putting them in a table does.

>  - the close button should always be in the left bottom

Easy enough

>  - I had no idea what the "Change in Progress"-button does till I used
>  it. Maybe "Change currently build" or similar.

I thought it was clear, but apparently not.  It was sort of by parralelism
to the "in prog" column header.  How about "Change building"?

>  Also more infos on the
>  unit-type in the popup would be nice. This would eliminate this "I'm
>  a quick hack"-look.
>  - the creation of the list of possible unit types is quite ugly. Look
>  at name_and_sort_items and its users.

I'll take a look at this

>  - Wake Sentried: what about units which are on goto? Should this be
>  included in "Wake Sentried"? Another button? What about exploring
>  units?

It just wakes sentried units.  It should probably expand to include units
fortified in cities or fortresses, but I think it should stop there.  All
other units are already doing something.

>  - "Find Next" should become a "Start over" if you have iterated
>  through all units of this type.

Good idea, I'll put that in.

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll get another version out soon.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"