[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Release goals

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Release goals
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:25:50 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
> We have to think about a new release and the goals for this. The list
> below contains problems to which patches exists. I have added two
> measurements. The first is the user impact (will the user notice it
> (without reading the ChangeLog)? will the user be impressed by it?
> will the average user use it?):
>
>  0 - won't notice it without looking at the source
>  1 - maybe
>  2 - probably
>  3 - the user will notice it in every case
>
> The second is the status of the patch:
>
>  A - longer way to go
>  B - almost ready
>  C - quite ready
>  D - ready for inclusion
>
>  - improved game startup (3, A or B)
>  - sound (3, ?)
>  - switch to trident tileset by default (2.5, no problem creating it)

can you do it _now_ ?
I've been silently suffering from it whole year.

>  - CMA (2, B)
>  - active units (2, ?)
>  - Win32 native (2, ?)
>
>  - new natural city names (1, C)
>  - unlimited nations (1, C)
>  - let the client and server have different languages (1, A or B)
>  - more map topologies (1, A or B)
>  - rapture delay (1, D)
>
>  - fixing of the Amiga client (0.5, ?)
>  - generalised improvements (0.5, ?)
>  - network bandwith reduction (0.5, C)
>
>  - AI cleanups (0, ongoing)
>  - map cleanups (0, ongoing)
>  - other cleanups, style changes, ... (0, ongoing)
>
> Have I forgot anything? Do you think that I have rated wrong? Can you
> fill out the ?s ?
>
> I think the goals for the release should be set on the user
> impact. This means that if the issues which have a 2 or 3 are included
> in the code we have a release. This doesn't mean that any other patch
> won't go in. What do you think about this?

If we follow "release early release often" strategy, I reckon any one of
the grade 3 improvements deserve a release.  Going down, any 2 of grade 2
and any 4 of grade 1 deserve a release.  For a more relaxed approach,
multiply all numbers by 2.

I agree with your ratings, btw.

G.