[Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Release goals

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Release goals
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:42:04 +0100

We have to think about a new release and the goals for this. The list
below contains problems to which patches exists. I have added two
measurements. The first is the user impact (will the user notice it
(without reading the ChangeLog)? will the user be impressed by it?
will the average user use it?):

 0 - won't notice it without looking at the source
 1 - maybe
 2 - probably
 3 - the user will notice it in every case

The second is the status of the patch:

 A - longer way to go
 B - almost ready
 C - quite ready
 D - ready for inclusion

 - improved game startup (3, A or B)
 - sound (3, ?)
 - switch to trident tileset by default (2.5, no problem creating it)
 - CMA (2, B)
 - active units (2, ?)
 - Win32 native (2, ?)

 - new natural city names (1, C)
 - unlimited nations (1, C)
 - let the client and server have different languages (1, A or B)
 - more map topologies (1, A or B)
 - rapture delay (1, D)

 - fixing of the Amiga client (0.5, ?)
 - generalised improvements (0.5, ?)
 - network bandwith reduction (0.5, C)

 - AI cleanups (0, ongoing)
 - map cleanups (0, ongoing)
 - other cleanups, style changes, ... (0, ongoing)

Have I forgot anything? Do you think that I have rated wrong? Can you
fill out the ?s ?

I think the goals for the release should be set on the user
impact. This means that if the issues which have a 2 or 3 are included
in the code we have a release. This doesn't mean that any other patch
won't go in. What do you think about this?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Understanding is a three-edged sword;