[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Numbered tile markers

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Numbered tile markers
From: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:39:46 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> On 2002-01-08 19:12:39, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> > The basic problem is still there: people may have modified keymaps that
> > produce some other key events than F12 when shift+F12 is pressed. We can
> > use F1-F12, if people prefer them over number keys. I usually use a lot
> > CTRL+F? for other purposes, that's why I chose plain number keys.
>
> Having this configurable wouldn't be a bad thing... It's not important
> though...

Yes, but having a good default setting is really important, as many
players play without ever configuring anything.

> Being able to cycle through assigned markers might be nice
> though... Eg like [tab] to for next marker and [shift]-[tab] for prev...

Maybe. I haven't found that necessary, as I use a lot of markers for city
placement planning etc. and just a few to mark important locations. For
latter, I can use markers 1-10 and quick jump keys. But your milage may
vary, cycling can be implemented, if it's found important enough.

But we shouldn't pollute all keyboard with marker functionality, as
in future there will be need for shortcuts for new UI features.

Teemu Kurppa