[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interactive Tech Tree [Wishlist] (PR#1186)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interactive Tech Tree [Wishlist] (PR#1186)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:13:31 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:40:33AM -0800, Peter Cock wrote:
> I have now downloaded and looked at Andreas Kemnade's Native Windows Freeciv
> 1.12.0 from:
>
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/packages/windows/freeciv-1.12.0-gtk-win-1.zip
>
> And the science dialog is the same as for Andreas Kemnade's Native Windows
> Freeciv 1.11.4 from:
>
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/packages/windows/freeciv-1.11.4-win.zip
>
> The following screenshot from the Civ III website may help to try and
> explain:
>
> http://www.civ3.com/images/screenshots/science.jpg
>
> (i.e. the fourth screen shot on: http://www.civ3.com/gallery.cfm?startimg=7
> on the Civ 3 Site)
>
> Its the main bit in the middle of the screen that I was "wishing for".
> This is the "Ancient World", the first of four "ages" of science in Civ III.
> For freeciv, a scrollable window could be used instead, showing all the
> techs.
>
> You can left click a tech to set it as a goal, right click to view the help.
>
> Blue techs are the ones you have got, green you are planning.  Yellow you
> can start on.  Grey ones you don't have the prereqs for.

Ah, thank you, now I see what you mean.

Yes, it is much clearer than the Freeciv tech tree, now on display at

  http://www.freeciv.org/screenshots/1.12.0/

The Civ III view places objects in a diagram and avoids layout problems
by limiting it to one "age".  Freeciv should have "ages" anyway for Civ II
compatibility ut it doesn't yet.

> Note also that the number of turns is shown (based on current civ size, gov
> and science spending).

Nice, but not all that useful I think.

--
Reinier