[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interactive Tech Tree [Wishlist] (PR#1186)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interactive Tech Tree [Wishlist] (PR#1186)
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 15:00:00 -0500

Reinier Post wrote:

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:12:21AM -0800, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Has anyone played Civ III and seen the "Science Advisor" screen?  Basically it
has a lot of good (and fairly obvious) ideas to show the tech tree and choose
what science to research.

Its a clickable tech tree (right click to show the Civilopedia entry, left click
to select as a research target).  You can click on say "Gunpowder" and when each
advance is finished, Civ III will automatically (subject to a confirmation
dialog) start on the next step to reach gunpowder.

From your description, this is eactly what the Freeciv GTK+ client has been
supporting for years.  What do you suggest as an improvement?  Are you using
Andreas Kemnade's native Windows binary?  Perhaps it doesn't support this yet.

The 1.11.4 windows version must (I think) be GTK on cygwin.

What Peter's talking about that GTK doesn't have is the tree itself. Freeciv gives a list of researchable techs, and more information is available about each one on demand. CivIII I guess shows this as a tree, making navigation slightly easier.

jason