[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Kde-games-devel] libadvkdegames (was qt)

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <kde-games-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Kde-games-devel] libadvkdegames (was qt)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:41:21 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> i don't think the proposal was for a kde-only civ clone. i believe what
> gregor is talking about is a system independent library that implements code
> common to civ clones - e.g. maps, units, technologies.

All very good, but if such a library is to be adopted by existing game
projects like freeciv, it can require only dependencies acceptable by all
projects, which would rule out both Qt and KDE. Please remember that
freeciv is not a Linux/Unix only game.

A starting point for such a project would instead be something like eg
the Kyra sprite library (http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/).

> IMO i think it would be a great idea to try and fuse some of these projects
> together with a single common, underlying API. Qt is a good place to start
> because it offers a fairly complete, system independant OO system
> abstraction, container implementation, windowing environment (although
> there's nothing that says you *have* to write the client using Qt) and object
> model (signals and slots are extremely useful). but, you're right that it
> shouldn't be KDE specific.

If you want a common API for games, why go for Qt, when SDL fits the bill
a lot better? Qt is not designed for game programming, SDL is. SDL is more
portable. SDL is faster. (See http://www.libsdl.org/)

> if it were possible to organize this, you'd probably end up with one of the
> single most capable game rule engines available. besides, it would definitely
> be fun to try :)

Well, there is always xconq (http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/), but yes,
that could be both fun and useful. As I said, the more the merrier :)

Yours,
Per

"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
 -- John Kenneth Galbraith