[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Kde-games-devel] libadvkdegames (was qt)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <kde-games-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Kde-games-devel] libadvkdegames (was qt)
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:58:20 -0500

On Monday 31 December 2001 10:59 am, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote:
> > It's not just a new freeciv client. A whole new architecture. Fully
> > object-oriented Server, Client and Ai, including scriptable ai, for
> > example.
>
> I wish you luck with that project. Personally I am not interested in
> writing a KDE-only civ-clone, but the more games the merrier...

i don't think the proposal was for a kde-only civ clone. i believe what
gregor is talking about is a system independent library that implements code
common to civ clones - e.g. maps, units, technologies.

> > The current C architecture really gets to the limit there, IMO,
> > although not everyone on the freeciv mailing list will agree with me
> > here.
>
> Scripting? C can use scripting. For a good example of C using and being
> used for scripting, http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~ppodsiad/seer/
>
> C is not the limit.

no... C isn't the limit. it's the general architecture that is implemented in
C. what is being asked for is a completely OO architecture (freeciv missed
the boat on that one) - which will require a complete redesign/rewrite.

IMO i think it would be a great idea to try and fuse some of these projects
together with a single common, underlying API. Qt is a good place to start
because it offers a fairly complete, system independant OO system
abstraction, container implementation, windowing environment (although
there's nothing that says you *have* to write the client using Qt) and object
model (signals and slots are extremely useful). but, you're right that it
shouldn't be KDE specific.

if it were possible to organize this, you'd probably end up with one of the
single most capable game rule engines available. besides, it would definitely
be fun to try :)

andrew sutton
ansutton@xxxxxxx