[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changing interface for generate_warmap (PR#1108)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changing interface for generate_warmap (PR#1108)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:39:36 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Your patch has code like
> +  generate_warmap(NULL, x, y, NULL);
> +  boatdist = get_warmap_sea(NULL, x, y);
>
> if this code uses a non-global warmap (which is the goal) it has to be
> changed to:
> +  generate_warmap(&wm, x, y, NULL);
> +  boatdist = get_warmap_sea(&wm, x, y);
>
> If you change your patch so that the code looks like
> +  pwm = generate_warmap(x, y, NULL, 1);
> +  boatdist = get_warmap_sea(pwm, x, y);
>
> that you only have to change the "1" to use a non-global warmap. The
> access function calls (get_warmap_sea and get_warmap_land) will remain
> unchanged.

Aha, I undertand now.  One very good argument in favour of not doing it
this way was given by Jason.  I can only add a stupid argument: if you
allocate the memory yourself, you are more likely to remember to free it
(btw you forgot that to use non-local warmap, you have to do more than
change 0 to 1, you have to free pwm).

G.