[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:58:26 -0500

Tony Stuckey wrote:

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:59:55AM -0500, Andrew Sutton wrote:

the point wasn't necessarily to develop mutable civ rulesets for civ games - although that should certainly be possible (e.g. period games: civil war, roman empire, etc.)

        Precedent for which are the scenarios for Commercial Civs.
Midgard, WW2, etc.

- but to allow developers to customize the game completely, inventing new games (like SMAC or MoM).

        A goal I'm not sure is a good one.

The goal may be unachievable or too difficult to be worthwhile, but working toward it should give good results of its own.

 MoM (and MoO, and MoO2) are just plain different games.

I agree with you on that one.

        MoM has 2 separate but overlaid maps; bizarre interconnected unit,
building, and faction rules; a completely different combat system with a
tactical sub-map; a research tree where major parts are locked out and gift
techs and research bonuses are chosen at game start, etc.  *SO* much in
both the server and client would have to change to even present this sanely.

I think many of these shouldn't be as big of obstacles as you're making them out to be.

- The research tree where parts are locked out could be simulated by providing nation-specific initial techs.

- The different nation building abilities (units and buildings) can also be simulated by providing nation-specific initial techs.

- The different maps could be simulated easily under the general topologies change I'm proposing. The problem of moving between the maps would have to be handled by special teleporting places (the towers) or a teleporting unit ability that acts in a fixed way.

- The different combat system (the swords/shields thing) should be easy enough to set up.

But the problems remaining are still tremendous.  Most notably:

- The combat sub-map would be very difficult, most likely impossible under the real-time system FreeCiv currently uses.

- The different city setup would also be a difficult problem. Instead of being assigned to tiles, workers are just made into "farmers" or "workers" (or, under MoO2, "scientists"), each of which produces a certain amount of food and "production". It wouldn't be insurmountable, but it's definitely a different system.

- The change from "trade" (=tax+research+luxury) to a "gold"+"power" (=mana+skill+research) system would also be a huge change. Then you need to start thinking about things like handling skill points, and overland spellcasting.

        Don't get me wrong -- I'd like to see MoM and XCom: Ufo Defense
remade with modern technology and better code.  But I don't think that the
Freeciv project is the place to even think about that.

Ahh, XCom. That was a quality game. Unlike MoM, which can still be played under windows (and I hope will eventually be playable under WINE), I don't think any modern system can reasonably play XCom.

Well, you certainly got me started thinking about it. :-)

jason