[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:48:52 -0500

On Monday 10 December 2001 03:52 pm, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:59:55AM -0500, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> > - but to allow developers to customize the game
> > completely, inventing new games (like SMAC or MoM).
>
>       A goal I'm not sure is a good one.  SMAC will be hard enough,
> given that units change heavily, governments change heavily, the addition
> of height data and special positions to the map change significant
> underpinnings, etc.  MoM (and MoO, and MoO2) are just plain different
> games. MoM has 2 separate but overlaid maps; bizarre interconnected unit,
> building, and faction rules; a completely different combat system with a
> tactical sub-map; a research tree where major parts are locked out and gift
> techs and research bonuses are chosen at game start, etc.  *SO* much in
> both the server and client would have to change to even present this
> sanely. Don't get me wrong -- I'd like to see MoM and XCom: Ufo Defense
> remade with modern technology and better code.  But I don't think that the
> Freeciv project is the place to even think about that.

hmm... those would certainly make things a little more complicated, wouldn't
they ;) for the map stuff, you could build a replacable map module that
implemented its own coordinate positions. for example, civ games use a single
plane. MoM used, had an underground, IIRC... i've never played SMAC so i'm
not entirely sure what the requirements for that would be. actually civ map
is just an instance of a multi-plane map with only a single plane.

the government stuff can work the same way. define a subset of properties for
a governments and then pre-define fixed government to be the equivilant of
civ governments.

i'm not quite sure i remember the unit or faction rules from MoM :( i do
however, remember the combat system. i always liked that. age of wonders
(which is basically MoM 2, i guess) does the same thing. anyway, again, civ
combat is an instance of MoM combat where all the fighting is done
automatically. theoretically, you could build the combat engine to allow that
style combat, but have a setting that restricted it to automation only for
freeciv games.

i think there's ways to implement some of these other features in the same
way that there's been handicapping conversations lately. bonuses and gifts
are just instances of handicapping for a race in general.

there's lots to think about, but i don't think its impossible. besides,
creating an implementation thats open enough should encourage thought about
these things. i'm sure more than one person have said, "i really liked MoM.
i'm going to rewrite it." you're right. we shouldn't necessarily think about
the implementation of these things, but i'd hate to disqualify them as an
eventual possibility.

andy