[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Cc: gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:39:04 -0500 (EST)

Remember that java can be compiled to native object code (on GNU/Linux, at
least, using gjc).  I don't know how its performance is that way.

If we look at that sort of massive changes, though, I think we should push
toward customizability.  It seems to me that units' special powers in
config files are a pretty ugly setup.  Basically, every special power
(paradrop, build fortresses...) is written in c, then specified to a unit
in config.  This makes it impossible for ruleset designers to add or edit
powers.

I'd like to see a design with the most core/time-critical code in C/C++
but the bulk of it in freeciv-definition language -- sort of like how
emacs and mathematica work.

Just my thoughts,

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"