[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch v13 (PR#1082)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch v13 (PR#1082)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:17:37 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Juha Litola wrote:
> tech_cost_style:
> 0 - Civ (I|II) style. Every new tech add researchcost to cost of
>     next tech.
> 1 - Cost of technology is (1+num_parents)*researchcost, where
>     num_parents == number of requirement for tech, counted
>     recursively.
> 2 - Cost are read from tech.ruleset. Missing costs are generated by
>     style 1.

I really appreciate that tech costs can now be modpackified.

But I don't quite understand why option 1 is needed, as the calculated
cost for a tech would always stay the same (you don't get new parents, do
you?), and could just be put into tech.ruleset and used through option 2.
There must be something I'm missing here...

My vote for default is 1 or 2. I never liked the fact that it would take
me as long to research Industrialization as Horseback Riding, if I had
skipped the latter until then.

Yours,
Per