[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:30:52 -0800

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:03:57PM -0500, Justin Moore wrote:

>    But then it's "the AC people" or "those wacked-out bleeding-edge
> development people" and not "The Freeciv Unstable Tree".  Most major
> projects that I know of have more than one major branch "officially"
> sponsored by the same people.  I'm not saying that you personally have to
> manage the unstable tree; in fact I think someone who's a bit more willing
> to take risks would be better suited for it.  You do a good job of keeping
> the main tree clean, reducing bugs, and are very strict about what you
> accept.  This is excellent for the main tree, but can stifle major
> changes.  We need another maintainer who's willing to manage the unstable
> branch and let code mature until it's stable.  Unfortunately I have
> neither the time or the experience to do this, otherwise I'd be willing to
> put my money (and time) where my mouth is. :)

 "Unfortunately I have neither the time or the experience to do this"

This is the consistent problem with all the high ideals that hit this list,
my own included.  And until we have the pool of talent and available time
its probably best to plod along with what we have.  Some things are going
very slowly, but thats better than not moving at all.

Until I (or someone else) becomes independantly wealthy and can fund
development of this project, we have to work with what we have.  Adding
work to Raimar's already huge pile isn't going to be a positive thing.

BTW Thanks again Raimar for all your work!

All IMHO of course, and who am I to say? :)

--
Paul Zastoupil