[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:03:57 -0500 (EST)

> >    Possibly.  But then we get back to the fact that it's just a game.
> > Perhaps a slightly modified Brooks' rule works here (if you want a
> > software engineering approach): Plan to throw two away.  Maybe three.  But
> > in order for us to make those more drastic changes, we need a development
> > branch (*nudge nudge*).
>
> I have asked mayself hard if I should implement a new client from
> scratch. I got the network layer finished and then stopped. I think it
> is a nice goal. If you use the existing wire protocol you can
> concentrate on one part (the client for example).

   Initially I personally am not in the business of rewriting the client.
I'd be up for working on the unifying GUI and some of the server rewrite
stuff (what happened to that, anyway?).

> As for the development branch: setup your own like the AC people and
> Ingo have done.

   But then it's "the AC people" or "those wacked-out bleeding-edge
development people" and not "The Freeciv Unstable Tree".  Most major
projects that I know of have more than one major branch "officially"
sponsored by the same people.  I'm not saying that you personally have to
manage the unstable tree; in fact I think someone who's a bit more willing
to take risks would be better suited for it.  You do a good job of keeping
the main tree clean, reducing bugs, and are very strict about what you
accept.  This is excellent for the main tree, but can stifle major
changes.  We need another maintainer who's willing to manage the unstable
branch and let code mature until it's stable.  Unfortunately I have
neither the time or the experience to do this, otherwise I'd be willing to
put my money (and time) where my mouth is. :)

   Plus I'd like some more general feedback about the laundry list of
ideas I threw out in my rant (other than just Christian and Andrew).  Are
people very comfortable with what we have, or are there others that feel
we can make this much much better?

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin@xxxxxxxxxxx