[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:21:35 +0100

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:40:39AM -0500, Justin Moore wrote:

> > and when you're trying to implement a highly complex rule-based,
> > extensible game like free-civ, a good place to start is a complete
> > analysis of the problem.
>
>    Possibly.  But then we get back to the fact that it's just a game.
> Perhaps a slightly modified Brooks' rule works here (if you want a
> software engineering approach): Plan to throw two away.  Maybe three.  But
> in order for us to make those more drastic changes, we need a development
> branch (*nudge nudge*).

I have asked mayself hard if I should implement a new client from
scratch. I got the network layer finished and then stopped. I think it
is a nice goal. If you use the existing wire protocol you can
concentrate on one part (the client for example).

As for the development branch: setup your own like the AC people and
Ingo have done.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a