[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption
From: Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:31:10 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> Right...
> I'd just like to add my vote for using distance computed in a bit
> smarter way... Travel distance should be simple enough and I really
> think it would be a step in the right direction...
> A modification to this that I find interesting would be to give
> penalties for going through cities... This could be motivated as passing
> through a city means the corruption in that city takes a bite and it
> should force small-pox players to deal with corruption...
> The simplest way to do this might be to not count (rail)roads in cities
> when calculating corruption distance but there might be better ways...
...and we should consider wheather the passing city has a courthose, which
would reduce the corruption pananty for the city that is on the way. A
marketplace on the other hand increases corruption, everyone knows that,
right? This is actually the the least we can do for realism, but wait: If
you are in democracy und have a public transportation system and highways,
this will also increase corruption as the rail barons and the car tycoons
will contribute a lot to campain financing...

The game is already complex enough! It should have fairly easy rules,
because otherwise it will cause headaches to play and the guy who wrote
the algo will be the only to have a fair chance of controllig the game, if
at all.
Besides, I've made the experience that games with simpler rules tend to
incrase in game quality faster, as nobody just won because he was the only
one who saw the rule that you can also win, if you just say: "I've won".
Civ is already complex enough and hard enough to predict.

Sorry for the exaggerations...

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx