[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption
From: Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:31:35 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Mike Jing wrote:
> Sure, I understand that those other means would still work as before and
> only any additional luxury needed will be deducted.  It is just less obvious
> where exactly the luxury all went and when you really need entertainers or
> martial law.
yes, but there could be a display of the effective luxury rate.

> As I understand it, luxury will be dealt out just enough to keep the peace,
> so there will be no more civil disorder.  While that may be a welcome
> change, there would be no more WLTKD celebration either.
Not necessarily. There could be an option switch wheter you want WLTKD in
a city/all cities or not. Or you could say that gold is only taken to
content citizens and you'd need other means to get WLTKD. This would be
harder than it currently is, however.

> This will be a a major departure from the current game and would
> affect a few other things such as rapture growth.  Have you thought
> about that?
yes. see above. apart from that I think rapture growth is far too
powerful, but thats just IHO.

> >>I got your drift.  I prefer a uniform corruption level for all cities.
> >So do I, for predictability. But I'd like to combine it with auto-elvis or
> >pay-for-unhappyness (see above) because otherwise you have to check each
> >city each time a city is founded.
> I don't see how they are related to each other.  But of course, getting rid
> of civil disorder would greatly reduce micromanagement.
The relation is, that with a uniform corruption level, corropution in
EVERY city increases when you found a city, which may cause unhappyness
which you have to check for, which increases micromanagement. If you don't
have to worry about riots you just have to check once in a while to get
rid of elvises (increasing trade output) in the one model or to check
wheater you can employ elvises or military to save gold in the other model
respectively.

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx