[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 05:51:42 +0100

On 2001-11-26 23:33:52, Mike Jing wrote:
> Actually, the real purpose of having corruption and waste in civ is not for
> historical accuracy, but as a tool for balancing between different forms of
> government as well as between large and small empires.  In the latter role,
> distance from capital is used as a reasonable if not entirely accurate
> measure of empire size.  If the distance factor is taken away, then some
> other measure of empire size, such as number of cities, will have to be
> used, with the lose of "realism".

Right...
I'd just like to add my vote for using distance computed in a bit
smarter way... Travel distance should be simple enough and I really
think it would be a step in the right direction...
A modification to this that I find interesting would be to give
penalties for going through cities... This could be motivated as passing
through a city means the corruption in that city takes a bite and it
should force small-pox players to deal with corruption...
The simplest way to do this might be to not count (rail)roads in cities
when calculating corruption distance but there might be better ways...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)