[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI devel

To: Jacek Popławski <jpopl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI devel
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:27:44 +0100

> I have been away this mailing list, and away Freeciv multiplayer for a long
> while. I want to ask what is going on with AI development, now.
See the mailing list archive.

We are cleaning up. That must be done ASAP, and as a first thing probably
too. Try to hack and extend function with seven one-letter variables, no
blanklines used at all and only very few very particular comments. Almost
impossible, and if you will manage to do it, you will only increase the
actual amount of chaos. To make the source readable is what we do now.
Then we can think about extending it by some major feature.

> Is someone trying to add diplomacy to AI?
It's in my TODO list, however see above. If you want to help, try to understand
some AI code and clean it up. However, just now, let's wait for coding
guidelines
to be finished to be able to produce conforming patches then.

> I think we can use "score". I mean "Iron Working" can have score=100.
> "Pottery"
> can be 50, and gold will be 1. So if we need Iron Working from AI - it will
> agree only if we give it Pottery and at least 50 gold.
How would you compute such score? Scoring techs we want is clear, we already
have
such an array, however how will you score techs we will offer? [too tired to
think about that myself just now ;] NO, no scores hardcoded in the ruleset. We
should take into account basic score we computed for that (that means how much
other techs we can get through this tech), but what else to take into account?

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC
Real Users hate Real Programmers.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/