[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Graphics

Cc: Dan Johansson <djohansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Graphics
From: vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:06:14 -0500

Raimar Falke wrote:

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:01:15PM -0600, Dan Johansson wrote:

1.      What are the limits for making tiles and other icons?
(Resolution and color depth)

A lot of the tilesets have a size of 30x30. There is one 45x45 and
some 20x20. AFAIK all tilesets use 8 bits.

So tile size (=resolution) is not an issue. Are you saying there's no support for modes other than 8-bit, or just that all tilesets happen to be 8-bit?

2.      Is there going to be any color mode/resolution changing options
in freeciv? (I prefer make the graphics 24 bit but it greatly adds to
the file size)

No. I know nobody who is working on this. Freeciv doesn't run
fullscreen, but in a window.

This is a function of the GUI, not specific to FreeCiv in general (I think). For instance, if someone were to make an SDL client they'd probably want to make it full-screen, and add support for changing resolutions.

So, changing resolutions isn't needed by the client, since it runs in a window anyway (the user can change the size of the desktop if desired). Using a different color mode is a problem, though - I'm not even sure how you'd go about it.

3.      Would you like me to make a high resolution pack for freeciv
meaning bigger tiles higher color depth and can someone fix the display
problems that will arise from changing the resolution?

What IMHO really needed is a nice isometric tileset. There are various
non-isometric but only one isometric. This one is ugly. If you can
made a nice isometric one?!

I too would like a nice isometric tileset - I like isometric view, but I dislike the "hires" tileset. But I would also enjoy a high-resolution tileset of any sort - right now I usually use Engels just because it's the largest, and on my 100dpi monitor the smaller ones don't look very good.

jason