[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 02:49:19 -0500

Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it is a bad idea to follow the commercial civ changes.

I beg to differ.

First of all, if we do that, we will never reach a perfect code.

I have never seen perfect code, whatever that is.

Second, why follow other people ideas? This community has different ideas and approaches about how the game could be.

Often times people come up with similar ideas or even the same exact idea when faced with the same problem. I would like to point out that at least some of the new Civ3 rules have been suggested right here on this mailing list. We are not blindly following anybody's ideas. We are just free to adopt whatever good idea we come across.

One advantage of adopting ideas from Civ3 is that they have been already tested in the actual game, so it's easier for us to determine how well it works. Furthermore, it gives people something to shoot for, making it easier to focus on the things we want to improve in Freeciv.

Third, and I agree with you, the most important thing that must be done is
a very high improvement of the AI. And this is the more difficult part. The
AI programming is an extense technic and theory by itself. It is not enough
to programm a given reaction to a given situation. The AI must have
variability (fuzzy logic?), must think at large (strategic) scale, and must
be capable to learn. A very serious AI programming could become a complete
separate proyect by itself, and the obvious start point is to separate the
AI from the server, that is, build AI clients, so freeciv could be a test
zone for different approaches, different AI models and different
programmers around the community, without the need to touch the freeciv
code. May be it would be nice to write a complete guide to client-server
communication to help the interested programmers to do that.

This has been suggested and discussed many times before. Now we just need to put it into action. So it's great so many people are interested in working on this problem now.

Mike