[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback
From: Petrus Viljoen <viljoenp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:51:40 +0200

[programing Client side AI]

> >Third, and I agree with you, the most important thing that must be
done is
> >a very high improvement of the AI. And this is the more difficult
part. The
> >AI programming is an extense technic and theory by itself. It is not
enough
> >to programm a given reaction to a given situation. The AI must have
> >variability (fuzzy logic?), must think at large (strategic) scale,
and must
> >be capable to learn. A very serious AI programming could become a
complete
> >separate proyect by itself, and the obvious start point is to
separate the
> >AI from the server, that is, build AI clients, so freeciv could be a
test

> >zone for different approaches, different AI models and different
> >programmers around the community, without the need to touch the
freeciv
> >code.

It would be easier to use client side scripting to test & design new AI
code.
This way you have minimal
effects on the affects on the  freeciv codebasse. (And you don't need to

recompile every small tweak ;-) )
This way the developer can act as a guide to the AI script and correct
some of
the  decisions
made by the AI at run time (and trace it to sea where the AI's decision
making
failed)
You don't want to start developing complete AI Clients ( LOTS of work).
The current Freeciv client-server interface seams addiquate to drive
client
side AI scripting.

Personally I'm not so sure about the fuzzy logic part to start with .
First you
need to make the
AI capable of (Responding to attacks, Invading & conquering  of its own
).
Once you have this you can use fuzzy logic to decide best tactics /
strategies.

The one thing I think lacking in the AI is grouping  (Fleets,
Battalions,
Squadrons) each
controlled by an AI entity (a general / admiral) with specific long-term

objectives.

( I am working on this and client side scripting (CSL , JavaScript and
Guile)
)