[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments on CMA 2.6

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments on CMA 2.6
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:07:04 +0100 (BST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Example with only two stats: food and shield. The city may provide the
> following combinations (all surplus): (f=0,s=10), (f=2,s=7),
> (f=11,s=2) and (f=12,s=-1). You now search the maximal sum of
> sum=food_weight*food_surplus+shield_weight*shield_surplus.
>
> food_weight shield_weight best_sum  best_combination
>     1             1           13      (f=11,s=2)
>     2             1           24      (f=12,s=-1)
>     3             1           35      (f=11,s=2) or (f=12,s=-1)
>     4             1           47      (f=12,s=-1)
>    10             1           120     (f=12,s=-1)
>
>     1             2           20      (f=0,s=10)
>     1            10           100     (f=0,s=10)
>
> Was this clear?

So you use a linear weight function.
Some time ago I played with it on paper and found that it would almost
always try to maximize one of the three parameters and would never go for
some sort of balance.  Think about a city surrounded by forest and plains
(it is plains that gives 2 food right?).

In order to apply your agent to AI we would need something balanced.
You might say "put a minimal value for two of the parameters and then
maximize the third".  Minimal food is almost easy, it only relates to the
growth you want.  But to set minimal prod you need to know what are you
losing: what is maximum possible prod.

We should think about how to reduce the number of possible settings while
encompassing all really useful ones.

Best,
G.

Nokia Game is on again.
Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
all media adventure before November 3rd.