[Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] Tile drawingorder

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] Tile drawingorder
From: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 01:08:12 +0200

Hi!

I made a patch that solves (?) some problems with the gui, that I think
were problems, here a description of the patch:

Tile drawingorder change (v.1) (against cvs-Oct-07-01):

- Farmland/irrigation are now drawn before rivers and specials to keep
  rivers and specials visible which were covered partially by irrigation
  and completely by farmland, so that they were virtually invisible.

- Now it looks as if a river is flowing through farmland and the
  specials (if any) are on top of irrigation/farmland => visible.

- I think this increases the overview quite effectively, because you
  don't have to turn off certain drawing-stuff just to see what's under
  it or click with the middle-button on it.

I hope this is understandable. To make it absolutely clear, I uploaded
two screenshots (~24k each) into ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/

1) drawingorder_nopatch.jpeg   No patch applied
2) drawingorder_patch.jpeg     Patch applied, important parts marked with red
                               arrows :-)

I think, the diff is rather obvious. If you have comments, rejections
etc. pp. and stuff the like, please tell me. BTW: Daniel Speyer's
approach was okay (see "[gtk+iso] Farmland covering tile" from some days
ago), but I think my way is the better [tm] one, even though probably far
from perfect or anything. Dunno.

Bert

PS: I hope this issue is of any interest at all, or am I the only one
who dislikes the current drawing order?