[Freeciv-Dev] Re: citymindist

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: citymindist
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:37:32 +0200

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:31:45PM +0200, Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > I've seen that on civserver, yes. How can I achieve this
> > with rulesets? Is it still possible with actual CVS?
>
> Yes. The setting is in game.ruleset and is called
>
> min_dist_bw_cities
>
> Actualy my patch does nothing but making this setting
> changable at server runtime: every positive value is
> accepted, 0 means "let the ruleset handle it".
>
> Especialy on metaserver games this is helpful for you
> have no way of changing the ruleset. The "traditional"
> way was having smallpox and nosmallpox ruleset servers,
> which lead to much confusion within the games.
>
> "Is the a smallpox server?"
> "I dont know"
> "I think it is"
> "But I dont want to play smallpox!"
> "Lets go to another server"
> "No lets stay here!"
>
> Having a server variable solves this ;)

Yes.  The plan is to have an additional parameter to games on
civserver.freeciv.org, namely, a URL that explains the details of the
ruleset settings.  Users can then be informed about this URL using
paulz's /spam command (I don't remember its exact name).

> BTW: citymindist 3 games are much more interesting then
> citymindist 2 (which is default). Especialy in the begining
> you realy need to make wise usage of the topology of your
> starting island. The ai does not know this yet and often
> places their cities pretty silly ...

This surprises me: the AI tends to place its cities at distance 3.

--
Reinier