[Freeciv-Dev] Re: citymindist

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: citymindist
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:31:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Christian Knoke wrote:

> I've seen that on civserver, yes. How can I achieve this
> with rulesets? Is it still possible with actual CVS?

Yes. The setting is in game.ruleset and is called

min_dist_bw_cities

Actualy my patch does nothing but making this setting
changable at server runtime: every positive value is
accepted, 0 means "let the ruleset handle it".

Especialy on metaserver games this is helpful for you
have no way of changing the ruleset. The "traditional"
way was having smallpox and nosmallpox ruleset servers,
which lead to much confusion within the games.

"Is the a smallpox server?"
"I dont know"
"I think it is"
"But I dont want to play smallpox!"
"Lets go to another server"
"No lets stay here!"

Having a server variable solves this ;)

BTW: citymindist 3 games are much more interesting then
citymindist 2 (which is default). Especialy in the begining
you realy need to make wise usage of the topology of your
starting island. The ai does not know this yet and often
places their cities pretty silly ...

Ingo

--

Karl-Ingo Friese