[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unused field in move_cost_map removed.

Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unused field in move_cost_map removed.
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:39:52 -0400

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

>  --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 01:51:21PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> [..]
> >
> > Thue confirmed that this was the original intention. Still the number
> > I get from you aren't clear. How many times is this shortcut taken?
>
> I feel quite reluctant calculating the number, because the evidence I got
> from run-times was quite convincing.  Instead, I will find the places in
> the code where danger of returning the same tile twice still exists and
> minimize such danger.

The algorithm is fixed, and it'll return duplicate tiles fairly often.
This is the way it's designed.  The move costs of the tile will
immediately get compared to the current best move cost of that tile, and
the tile will be discarded.  Having an extra field to accomplish this
same thing is completely unnecessary - I don't see how anyone with an
understanding of the algorithm could even consider it.  The extra
complexity is unneeded.

jason