[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the directional system

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the directional system
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:57:30 -0400

"Ross W. Wetmore" wrote:

> At 02:06 PM 01/09/07 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 06:59:52AM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >DIR_DX2 is only used in
> >client/tilespec.c:fill_tile_sprite_array_iso. Correct? Looking at it,
> >it looks save for me to change the underlying direction
> >system. Somebody has said that the graphics also depend on the
> >direction system. It looks to me that the graphics only depend on
> >INDEX_NSEW. Correct?
>
> The GUI *NEVER* depended on the DIR_DX arrays or core system until
> Jason's patch in August linked them. There should be *NO* references
> to it in the GUI wihtout this.

The gui uses DIR_DX and the DIR_DX system.  What I did was link this
more strongly to the "core" directional system by removing the magic
numbers (replacing them with macros that the core system uses).  It is
true that it will be more difficult to make the GUI use a different
system than the core one now, but doing so was never my intention.

> But the GUI *DOES* depend on the array ordering of graphics elements,
> and while I am certainly not 100% sure this is terminal, think that
> someone knowledgable should look down where the graphics data is read
> off the disk and first massaged. There are explicit and implicit things
> that depend on array order.

I'll agree with that.  I'm willing to wait until then to actually change
the core system.

jason