[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patches] freeing NULL ptrs

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patches] freeing NULL ptrs
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Some allocation and freeing tools turned up a few places where we were
> freeing NULL pointers in common/registry.c and server/ruleset.c.  Patches
> against 1.12.0 included.  I had suspected there was some heap corruption
> going on, but didn't know exactly where until now.
>
> -jdm
>
> PS. Would it be worth it to create a fc_free that ignores all NULL
> pointers passed to it?

I thought ANSI C requires that free(NULL) is a no-op?  K&R2 implies
this.  Are there any compilers that we care about that behave
differently?

Nevertheless I like this patch because of the parts which explicitly
set the variable to NULL after free(), since that ensures it won't
accidently be free'd again later.

-- David