[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again?

To: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again?
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:56:41 +0200

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 23:49, Bert Buchholz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:17:35PM +0200, Thue wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, what's that supposed to mean?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > So again, that sounds to me as if it wouldn't make much sense for
> > > me to keep working on that watchtower-thingy. That's what you
> > > wanna say? If so, then tell me, so that I won't waste more time
> > > on this issue, if it won't lead anywhere.
> > >
> > > Bert
> >
> > Yes, that was the explanation to "Now you ask...". Because I didn't
> > think you would like it. But that was my thoughts. But no offense
> > meant. You did ask. :)
>
> Excuse me, but don't you think, that it's just me myself who could
> decide if I liked it or not. How do you wanna know that? How can you
> know, how open I am for changes? No offense meant as well, but how
> can you write _this_ without knowing me? If you think, I'm a bad
> programmer, then say that. Or if you think I don't have what it takes
> to code for freeciv (what ever that would be), then SAY THAT! But
> please, no excuses like "I didn't think you would like it". Because
> not being honest with me, that's an offense, and that's something,
> that can drive me nuts!
>
> It's okay for me to let this freeciv-idea fall, but not when I'm (or
> the patch is) rejected with such argumentation. Sorry, but I think
> that's ridiculous.
>
> But maybe, this is nothing about me, maybe you just don't want any
> more people involved in freeciv (for whatever reason). I don't know,
> and I'm starting to loose interest to know :-(
>
> Bert

Ok, sorry, I was too rough. The core was: You were trying to change
something at the heart of the server, which would be too big a
mouthfull for a first patch. This was my assesment when I first saw
your patch. This is supported by the fact that the patch contained
bugs. (Which is perfectly understandable, bugs happen to the best
programmers when trying to make big changes.)

Rather than try to explain that (which would lead to endless
arguments), I decided just to ignore the mail for now.

I don't see that is accusing you of being a bad programmer. It is a
very tough problem you tried to solve.

-Thue