[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:00:59 +0100 (BST)

 --- Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 12. August 2001 00:20 schrieb Gregory Berkolaiko:

> > Pros:
> > 1. Transport might move away before the ground unit
> > gets there.
> > 2. If the unit ends its turn on the transport it goes
> > to sleep (quite annoying, eh?)
> >
> > Contra:
> > 1. Sometimes the routes via ships are the only
> > possible ones: like in the savegame below if the
> > cavalry wants to go north of the city, it cannot do it
> > by land because of ZOC.
>
> That means that the goto computation was correct. If
> there is no way, the goto can't do a miracle. It's up
> to the user to use waypoints then.

no it wasn't.  the problem was that a cavalry attempted to go to a city
via ship which it is not allowed to, since it's not Marines.

> So the best maybe is to leave it as it is. Using ships
> when I want him to do that is a feature IMO.

probably you are right. so the attached patch (against 1.12.0) does the
following:
1. penalizes (very slightly) movement of the type land->ship->land (of 2
equivalent routes it should really take the land only route)
2. checks for the movements of the type ship->land_occupied_by_enemy and
disallows it (unless the unit is Marines)

there is still the problem of the unit going to sleep once on board.
can somebody tell me where is the responsible bit of the code?

G.