[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gregory.berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:20:17 +0100 (BST)

> In this situation 'goto' should prefer the land way.
> (Maybe it is even always
> better to go on land??)

Probably it is best to disallow the movement
land->water->land in the goto route consideration.

Pros:
1. Transport might move away before the ground unit
gets there.
2. If the unit ends its turn on the transport it goes
to sleep (quite annoying, eh?)

Contra:
1. Sometimes the routes via ships are the only
possible ones: like in the savegame below if the
cavalry wants to go north of the city, it cannot do it
by land because of ZOC.

Attached is a patch where such paths are disallowed.
It's probably very unelegant (if not wrong), but at
least it identifies the place where change should be
introduced.  The patch is against 1.12.0.

Some changes should also be done to the server-side
gotos, I think, but I cannot quite understand the
general structure of the code there.