[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 'goto' prefers the path via ship (PR#888)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:44:00 +0200

Am Sonntag, 12. August 2001 00:20 schrieb Gregory Berkolaiko:

> > > In this situation 'goto' should prefer the land way.
> > (Maybe it is even always
> > better to go on land??)
>
> Probably it is best to disallow the movement
> land->water->land in the goto route consideration.
>
> Pros:
> 1. Transport might move away before the ground unit
> gets there.
> 2. If the unit ends its turn on the transport it goes
> to sleep (quite annoying, eh?)

AFAICS it sometimes does and sometimes not. Should
this be changed to never go to sleep automatically?

> Contra:
> 1. Sometimes the routes via ships are the only
> possible ones: like in the savegame below if the
> cavalry wants to go north of the city, it cannot do it
> by land because of ZOC.

That means that the goto computation was correct. If
there is no way, the goto can't do a miracle. It's up
to the user to use waypoints then.

So the best maybe is to leave it as it is. Using ships
when I want him to do that is a feature IMO.

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *