[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]

To: Daniel Speyer <Daniel_Speyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:16:06 -0500

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 06:17:11PM -0400, Daniel Speyer wrote:
> Here is my proposed fix to the isometric scrollbar bug.  It does away with
> the scrollbars entirely and replaces them with eight buttons.  This is,
> IMO, much more elegant than scrollbars.  It also solves the difficulty I
> had when I first began using isometric of matching what happens on the big

hmm, I couldn't comment on its elegance, but either you must be working on an
extremely fast computer, or your implementation is broken. I'm working on a
PII 266 and scrolling is _incredibly_ slow. I hardly ever use the scrollbars
anyway, I just click to center map. This is mainly why I'm skeptical of your
solution. When I do use scrollbars, it's to move the map a _long_ way very
quickly. I can't seem to do that with your buttons. Also I have to click for a
relative long, uncomfortable time to get the screen to move period (which I
imagine is caused by your use of the idle function (why oh why), and also why
the canvas inches along bit by bit while I'm not clicking anything--very
annoying).

Also, the fact that you ring the canvas with buttons reduces the screen real
estate. That's just one more thing for those of us without 21in monitors.

I think that if the reason you wanted this is the "inconsistency" between map
canvas and overview canvas, instead maybe attempt to rotate the overview canvas.

-mike