Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: David KORONCZAY <fu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:15:22 -0600 (MDT)

> Now, is this all more or less reasonable until the middle ages?
> Then, after a certain level of knowledge (Tech: Enlightenment ?),
> theocracy is certainly harder, i think. Maybe it's not necessary that
> religion becomes less important, less practised, and non-religiousness
> spreads, but at least power based on it should decrease,
> and there should be a need for a secularized government.
> If you are the church as well, you can do that just like
> when changing government. If the church is independent,
> they may or may not like the idea. You may need to force it.

"Bill of Rights/US Constitution" is, in my limit knowledge, the first
long-standing acknowledgement of the right to worship (ie believe/ pertain
to a certain religion) as one wishes AND that the government should be
completely non-partisan when it comes to religion.  Perhaps the tech (or
wonder? - a wonder could have significant strategic value if there is a
dominant civ with a "vatican city" like setup) could be Bill of Rights,
or something like that, which breaks or diminishes the advantages and
power of "Divine Right" governments...

Just some thoughts.