Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: David KORONCZAY <fu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: Dennis Jensen <djensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:25:27 -0500

Well this seems to be firming up quite nicely.  I could see this adding a
whole new dimension to the game that would then cause the player to try and
"influence" rather than control an aspect of the game.  It is always assumed
that as long as you inact something it is... but what happens if that isn't
always the case (real life).

The thought about the prophets could be an interesting side note...  if your
population is moving (inevitably) then prophets could show up as a warning
to the government (player) letting them know what will soon happen.  Then
the Missionary could be another form of diplomat that could be used to sway
religious beliefs, of course, they could become martyrs under the right (or
wrong) circumstances.  Although I am Christian, I don't have a problem with
the "Name" being used to reflect a game mechanic because I understand it
does not necessarily reflect real life it just borrows (or mirrors) real
life so that we can have something easier to identify with.

And as for the "enlightenment" period where religion starts to separate from
government -- this could be a "seeming".  For the people are, instead
following an obvioiusly spiritual religion, now following the religion
(tongue in cheek) of "science" (or something like that).

Now breaking from the normal timeline of things to make a bid for game
mechanics (sort of) -- what if the belief in something by enough people
could cause significant changes to take place (the gods are working) of
course this could be both beneficial and baneful depending on the
religion/belief system.  I mean think of polytheism all those gods fighting
with each other could cause problems within your country and then again
there would be more gods to deal with the problems as well.  Then once
aetheism and sciencism  ;-)  begins to spread within a country the power of
the "gods" begins to wane and people begin to believe less and less in
them.  Of course, the montheistic religions would hold because aspects of
"sciencism" could be absorbed into or accepted by the religion.  Just some
FYI thoughts and meanderings.