Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto into the unknown (PR#759)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto into the unknown (PR#759)
From: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 04:57:31 -0400

Thue wrote:

<snip bizarre goto routes when travelling into the unknown around the
seashore>

> Why this happens:
> Note that if you have an ocean tile next to a land tile you see the cost. To
> be able to draw this the client knows the terrain of tiles on the edges of
> the unknown.
>
> The goto then uses this knowledge, as a user also can.
> What you are seeing is a case where the drawing to not use all the extra
> knowledge it has.
> I suppose it could be hacked to only send land tiles next to unknown ocean
> tiles...

A much better solution, IMO, would be to not send those tiles at all.
The client could then be hacked to show the "darkness of the unknown"
encroaching a little bit more so that it covers up what is currently the
seashore (thus solving the drawing problem).  I'm not sure that this is
necessary or even preferable, but I think it's better than what you
suggest.

If this isn't done, though, then at a minimum the seashore should be
shown.  If the client knows it's there and can take advantage of it to
determine the goto route, then the player should also.  While this may
be inferior (the client/player still knows information they
"shouldn't"), at least it wouldn't give bizarre, seemingly inexplicable
behavior like the goto route demonstrated here.

jason short