Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto into the unknown (PR#759)

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto into the unknown (PR#759)
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:12:45 +0200

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 15:47, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Version: CVS of 27 Apr 2001
> System:  Linux i386 GTK
>
> The savegame at
>
> http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/bugs/goto-unknown.sav.gz
>
> shows a strange behavior of the goto function
> applied to the viking explorer:
>
> 1. shows no route to *unknown* ocean tiles at the coast
> 2. seems to cheat somehow about route construction but
>    doesn't use the information very well, thus
> 3. giving sometimes very stange routes into the unknown
>
> What it should do IMHO is: give the direct, "linear"
> route to any tile in the unknown (black tiles) assuming
> there is a way, stopping if it reaches the coast, because:
>
> 1. the player (I) wants it.
> 2. the player guesses the possible way (on the poles)
> 3. for flight purposes
>
> Christian

Why this happens:
Note that if you have an ocean tile next to a land tile you see the cost. To
be able to draw this the client knows the terrain of tiles on the edges of
the unknown.
The goto then uses this knowledge, as a user also can.
What you are seeing is a case where the drawing to not use all the extra
knowledge it has.
I suppose it could be hacked to only send land tiles next to unknown ocean
tiles...

-Thue