Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: "Americans" versus "United States"

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: "Americans" versus "United States"
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:29:51 +0200

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 02:13, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> > > plural=_("?plural:United States'")
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Probably a carry over from the US centric Civ and CivII.
> >
> > /me grumbles something about arrogant americans from .us
>
> No, it's just arrogant euros that aren't native English speakers think that
> substituting "United States" for "American" will sound ok, when it doesn't.

Do note my little "?". That is a question mark, exactly because I was not
sure if "United States" would sound right in practice. So I ask here on the
list.
I tried inserting "United States" in various contexts used in freeciv, and it
sounded fine to me. Perhaps if you would give a counterexample instead of
just calling me arrogant.

(yes yes, I know that "'" shouldn't have been there).

-Thue