Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)
From: gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (SimFlyer)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

From: SimFlyer <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: your mail

   Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:55:31 +0200
   From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   >    Cell based client structure
   >    ===========================

   >    What to you think? Overengineered? Do you think it is realizable?
   >
   > Single Input and Output mean that separate chains have difficulty
   > communicating.

   No. I think it will be only one chain. The lower part consisting of
   the NetworkCell and the HistoryCell. Certain high level functions form
   the middle part. The upper part is the real "ai" which decided and it
   most missing currently.

Hmm, I've felt that there would need to be multiple chains, one for
each group of units bound together for a purpose.

   > Realizability:
   >
   > These plans really come down to the dream of AI, something that has
   > been elusive for some time now.  I wonder if the correct way to
   > achieve something useful is to modify the goal.  Rather than create a
   > complete stand-alone AI competing in games with player at a
   > challenging level, create an AI helper for a player.

   I has always both of this in mind. The player should be able to use
   certain high level functions. Like the current "auto-settler" there
   should be a "auto-city goal=attack units".

Actually, I was thinking that a place to start might be with city
defense.  And the modification is simple to state : Call for
assistance from nearby cities.  A successful strategy against the AI
is to nibble away cities.  Each AI unit acts as an individual, but
will only attack enemies within it's vision.  A player can gang up on
a single city with his entire economy, but only face a few AI cities
in opposition.  CallForHelp might get the AI units to act as groups,
which would provide a bigger challenge to players.