Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)
From: gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (SimFlyer)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:26:06 -0700 (PDT)

From: SimFlyer <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: your mail

   Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:30:39 +0200
   From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

   On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 01:09:10PM -0700, SimFlyer wrote:
   > From: SimFlyer <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   > To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   > CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   > Subject: Re: your mail
   >
   >    > Realizability:
   >    >
   >    > These plans really come down to the dream of AI, something that has
   >    > been elusive for some time now.  I wonder if the correct way to
   >    > achieve something useful is to modify the goal.  Rather than create a
   >    > complete stand-alone AI competing in games with player at a
   >    > challenging level, create an AI helper for a player.
   >
   >    I has always both of this in mind. The player should be able to use
   >    certain high level functions. Like the current "auto-settler" there
   >    should be a "auto-city goal=attack units".
   >
   > Actually, I was thinking that a place to start might be with city
   > defense.  And the modification is simple to state : Call for
   > assistance from nearby cities.

   > A successful strategy against the AI is to nibble away cities.  Each
   > AI unit acts as an individual, but will only attack enemies within
   > it's vision.  A player can gang up on a single city with his entire
   > economy, but only face a few AI cities in opposition.

   This is a describtion of the current situation?!

Well, I cannot state absolutely, I have too little FreeCiv playing
time (mainly watching the AI play itself).  But it is true in
FreeCiv's cousin, Alpha Centauri, and has been true in every game that
I've played an AI opponent.  Quake had a CallForHelp ability for the
monsters, Diablo2 has it for some of the monsters.  In playing AI
opponents, I've always been able to cause local mis-matches and nibble
away.  Against humans, it rarely works, as they are very aware of the
tactic.

   > CallForHelp might get the AI units to act as groups, which would
   > provide a bigger challenge to players.

   Sounds good. If the "force" to help the city depends on the power of
   the unit and the number of turn to reach the city it should make a
   positive impact.

Yes, little point in sending help that cannot arrive quickly or
provide useful firepower.  It's also important not to over-commit
sending help, or else the counter-tactic just becomes to feint first.