Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail

To: SimFlyer <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:30:39 +0200

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 01:09:10PM -0700, SimFlyer wrote:
> From: SimFlyer <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: your mail
>
>    Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:55:31 +0200
>    From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
>    >    Cell based client structure
>    >    ===========================
>    >
>    >    ...
>    >
>    >    What to you think? Overengineered? Do you think it is realizable?
>    >
>    > Single Input and Output mean that separate chains have difficulty
>    > communicating.
>
>    No. I think it will be only one chain. The lower part consisting of
>    the NetworkCell and the HistoryCell. Certain high level functions form
>    the middle part. The upper part is the real "ai" which decided and it
>    most missing currently.
>
> Hmm, I've felt that there would need to be multiple chains, one for
> each group of units bound together for a purpose.

No. The association of units (or objects in general) to certain groups
will not be expressed in the structure of the cell stack. Freely
usable attributes which can be attached to every object will be used
to save this kind and other types of information.

>    > Realizability:
>    >
>    > These plans really come down to the dream of AI, something that has
>    > been elusive for some time now.  I wonder if the correct way to
>    > achieve something useful is to modify the goal.  Rather than create a
>    > complete stand-alone AI competing in games with player at a
>    > challenging level, create an AI helper for a player.
>
>    I has always both of this in mind. The player should be able to use
>    certain high level functions. Like the current "auto-settler" there
>    should be a "auto-city goal=attack units".
>
> Actually, I was thinking that a place to start might be with city
> defense.  And the modification is simple to state : Call for
> assistance from nearby cities.

> A successful strategy against the AI is to nibble away cities.  Each
> AI unit acts as an individual, but will only attack enemies within
> it's vision.  A player can gang up on a single city with his entire
> economy, but only face a few AI cities in opposition.

This is a describtion of the current situation?!

> CallForHelp might get the AI units to act as groups, which would
> provide a bigger challenge to players.

Sounds good. If the "force" to help the city depends on the power of
the unit and the number of turn to reach the city it should make a
positive impact.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx